Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A day to contemplate...


I am posting this image just to take away my thoughts off the election campaign especially the war of posters and banners that are everywhere, turning the once beautiful sights into such an unsightly scenes.

Water, Yes water!! The source of life. Without it we would not be here, on this beautiful blue planet call earth. When was it the last time you give it a second thoughts. When it is there most would just took it for granted. As thought it is not important at all to our survival. Most of the time one just did not give due respect and at time just do not care to give love to this most important resource for our own survival. One just use it and sometimes just pollute the water as though water is just unimportant. The image about is a bowl of water that is always there at my little garden.

Water, from the first time I knew what it is I always gives it due respect. I would always have a container like the one about to store water all the time. In this case it is an old ceramic container, that the Chinese used to store salted eggs for export from China to the other parts of the world. I got this one some thirty years ago from a China man shop and has since kept it in good condition. Now it is placed magnificently at my little garden. Always with water to the brink and I use a coconut shell as a bucket to draw water. A fusion of two cultural items. The containers, one made of ceramic from a faraway land China and the other of the versatile and hardy coconut from tropical Malaysia. In a way this big container with water reminds me of the well I used to bathe during my childhood when running water was non existence. It now served as a container for watering the plants as well for me to enjoy playing with water like a child did. I believe its the child in us that made us do that at this age. Have a nice day..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam Pak Idrus,
Water is an incredibly important element in any garden.I have two medium size of that kind old ceramic container with dragon carved on it.I got this 20yrs ago in Bintulu.I still keep it nicely as flower pot.It is difficult to find it in town now.So we have three more days to go for voting and hopefully the weather is find.

Pak Idrus said...

awang, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

I believe the two ceramic containers that you got are of the same kind shown in this posting. Like you said it is rather difficult to get now and one have to look around to get one. I love all those things of the past and collect it from time to time when the opportunity raised and some one quip that my home has turn into a museum.

Yes, another two days to go for Voting. Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Hello Idrus,

Scooping up some cool water in a coconut shell from that ceramic jar with a history to give your orchids a drink on a hot day seems like such a personal relationship between you and your plants. Much more poetic than turning on a tap and dousing them from a hose :)

Pak Idrus said...

louis, thanks for the visit. Yes you put it beautifully. That is what all these items are all about. The means and ways of making life more colorful as ever.

Sure it is easy using the hose but then we would miss all the fun of the ritual of watering the plants. I believe it is this passion in nurturing the plants that its in return give us all those gorgeous flowers for us to enjoy.

Have a nice day.