Thursday, June 17, 2004

According to the medical profession as one grow old one's past memories especially during the early years became clear and clearer.. I believed it is true with me because as years goes on... I could remember clearly some events of the past as though it just happened yesterday.... There are conversations that took place many years ago and are as clear now as it was... Here is an example, this particular conversations is of significant to me because it has been in my memory all along and it has to do with religion... It goes like this.... After attend a seminar in Germany in nineteen seventy six, on the way back I stop at a few cities in Europe and during a stop over at Zurich in Switzerland to do a short tour of the city.... I decide to stay at a budget hotel in the heart of the city and then call a friend, a young Swiss lady that I know, she had promise to take me on a tour if ever I visit her city.... After checking in the hotel.. A small building of a class of its own...The room though small was well decorated inside with a single bed covered with clean beige white linen.... The room had a window with beautiful beige color curtain.. With a view of the water front... A canal of a sorts.. It was really a pleasant place to spend the nights... I immediately call her and she say that she would meet me at the hotel....... Since the hotel had strict rules that you cannot take guest especially lady to your room... I told her that I shall wait for her at the hotel lounge at the hotel lobby..... So after a shower and freshen up... I went down to the lounge and waited for her... I was rather early so I sat there and while the hours reading and as the minutes goes by....A young priest came over and set at the next seat...And as usual with me we soon got to talking... One subject leads to another and eventually we talk about religion... It soon became interesting for we seem to believe in the same things, for He is a Christian and Me a Moslem... Both the people of the Books..... Because both of us are open minded and are open to discussion we soon discuss many things of mutual interest and I really felt good in that I could communicate so easily and understood what this young priest were conveying to me.... We seem to agree with thoughts of the religion and faith... We also seem to be on the same thinking plane and approach of openness to our faith...Islam and Christian... We soon became friend and hope that we could meet again in the future... And one part of our conversation that I recall very clearly and it has been at the back of my memory bank all these years, crystal clear to this day.... And that is when this young priest ask me this question..."Do you believe that God is that cruel to put people in Hell"... Well I answer "I do not believe it is so" and He agreed with me... So it look like that both of us have the same view of religion.... With that question and answer we parted with a smile and hope to meet again some other time.... And in the next moment my lady friend arrived and out we went on a tour of this great city of Zurich in beautiful Switzerland..... Well I shall leave this episode of my life just like that for others to digest and ponder... And perhaps learn some things for the good of mankind and our belief in religion... Surely you would agree with me that God is not cruel at all... For God is Love.... Amen.....

No comments: