Saturday, January 10, 2004

Quote: Strangers are friends that you have yet to meet....[ Roberta Lieberman]... Well.... While browsing at a shop where various pottery, carving from sandstone, artificial fountains, and other works of art in stone, plaster cast and woods are made and sold...I got into talking we a couple... who.. like us were searching for new artifact for home decoration and landscaping...the shopkeeper who is also the skill craft man...a Chinese from the mainland...could not speak in the Malay language...he could only communicate in the mandarin language....and just a little of Malay...barely...Talking to him was just like we here use to say...'macam itik dengan ayam' like the duck talking to the chicken...but as human.... especially us Malaysian, a mix up races...We soon manage to find a way to communicate with him...a very pleasant man who came all the way from Mainland China to make a living here...The couple that I am talking about is a mix marriage's couple....the husband a Malay and the wife a Chinese...although the wife is a Chinese...She told me she only knew Cantonese and like me could not communicate with this Chinaman......As usual with us Malaysian...we managed...and after sometime my wife and I managed to get what we were looking for and after discussing with this Chinaman....with the help of an electronic calculator...managed to agree on the price......The other couple also got what they came for....As usual with me...we got to talking about interior decoration...and one thing lead to another...and eventually we found that we had know a mutual friends who is married to our son in law's sister...the man is a relative of them...Well since we have thing in common to talk..He ask for my card....well I always carry my name card...with both my wife and my name on it together with other contact means....like our address and telephone numbers....I got his card and on looking found that his is an architect...two years older then our elders daughter...He told us that he is a classmate of our son in law's elder brother...who is now the dean of the Medical faculty of a local University....Well it is indeed a small world...We soon parted and I invite them both to our home for coffee some time and they promise to come over ...Great we just got another set of friends....

No comments: