Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Amigos...


A Facebook friend Thamrong suggested that three of us meet for tea. I like it and told him that we have to wait for Lias to come back from his ritual of travelling all over the country.  I got in touch with Lias and soon was able to fix a date and time for that meet. So on Tuesday we all met at the Coffee Club at Kinokuniya at the KLCC, a favourite place of mine. I decided to go early and do some work on my net-book. This place provides free WiFi so it was easy to communicate with the tribe. I post a note on the FB saying that I am now at the Coffee Club. As I approach the counter to order my drink I bump again on to Shakirah wearing spectacle and was seriously working on her laptop. She is a blogger as well on Facebook. I say Hi to her and order a drink of Ice-lemon tea since I was rather thirsty at that time. I then sat at a table for four waiting for the others to arrive. While waiting and to killed time I surfed the Internet. The weather outside was bright and I could see the skyscraper towering high on the other side of the KLCC garden. As I was concentrating on the net-book and lost in cyberspace I was jolted by a ringing of my cellphone. I took the phone and listen to it. It was Thamrong asking me where am I and that he has not had lunch and want me to join him at the level two Food court. I told him that I am at the Coffee Club and that I already had lunch. Would just wait for him, told him just to take his time and enjoy his lunch. I continue to concentrate on Facebook and while my time enjoying that cool Ice-lemon tea. After a while Thamrong arrived and join me at the table. I told him that Lias has just call and that he is one the way. While we were discussing on what to order Lias arrived with a beaming smile, his usual self. He took a sit and took out his toy, a tablet and starts to surf the net. It looks like we just could not live without the Internet. The toys like the Laptop and Tablet are now an extension of us. It was through the Internet that I got to know Thamrong when we made contact on FB. We sat to chat and yarn of things that strike our minds and at the same time thinking of what to order. It was decided that we all should order the set of High-tea special. With that done we continue to banter of subject that interest folks at our age. Most of the people at the Coffee Club were young and in the midst of a discussion on business or just seeping coffee with friends. The ambiance of the club was cosy with large glass window overlooking the park outside. I could see the skyscraper that has mushroomed just beyond the park making the surrounding look like some cities in the west. In fact everything here and its vicinity are of the first world standard like that in the developed world.

The image that I had snap as seen on the left shows how modern the city of Kuala Lumpur is now. All these were not there just a decade ago. The building of the Petronas Twin Towers in the land that was once the racecourse where folks comes to watch horse-race and bet on it  has help to quantum leaped this city into a modern metropolis in just mere two decades, amazing indeed. Here on these beautiful afternoon three amigos in their golden years enjoying life to the fullest careless of what's happening to the world. We talk about old times and jokes our kind of jokes which make everyone laugh including a young couple on the next table making them smile and made contact with us; they later on stop at our table for a short chat before leaving the place. The above image is taken by one of them. Our order of the High-tea set came and we sat to enjoy it. We continue to chat on some interesting subjects that pop up one after another and soon we forgot about time. We order some fresh water to quench our thirst and continue on discussing on issues that comes to our minds. Hardly have we noticed it the time on my watch shows it past seven in the evening. We decided to call it a day and left the place with thanks to those boys and girls managing the reception counter for bearing with us throughout the three hours period. In has been another colourful day for me. Indeed a happy day for the amigos!

Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to keep up with old friends!

Pak Idrus said...

Tl Chua, thanks for the visit.

Yes it is a nice place to meet friend. Hope to meet you sometime there.

Have a nice day.