Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The vege in my garden...

I love gardening. During my childhood I used to plant vegetable near our house and enjoy watching it grows. As time passes by I became interested in agriculture and wanted to study agriculture. I was dreaming of going to Australia to study at one of the colleges there. The reason of why I had chosen Australia was because at that time there were ship that ply the Kuantan - Perth route and some of my friends did went to Australia by ship. Besides it was the cheapest way of going overseas at that time. Traveling by plane was but a dream which most folks could never afford. Anyway to cut this story short, my dream never came about. I did not go to Australia to study Agriculture but start working in a government agency to make a living.

During all those years I kept learning about gardening and would plant vegetables and flowers to enjoy seeing the process of growing. My experiences in the Boy Scout movement while camping in the woods and learning the way of nature made me understand the best way of dealing with plants. And that give me more knowledge on of how best to handle nature and get better result in gardening.

I have started a small vegetable garden behind my house and the plant has start growing. Some has even start producing little fruits. It is really nice to see these plants grow from tiny seeds into plants that flowers and producing vegetable. Above are the flowers and baby Bitter Gourde and Zukini or Japanese cucumber that are growing in my little garden.

My kind of gardening is more for recreational purposes and whatever gain I get is a bonus, like getting to enjoy fresh vegetables that you grow it yourself.

Have a nice day.

12 comments:

Temuk said...

Hi Pak Idrus
Your cucumber and bitter gourd plants seem to be growing well. Home grown vegetables are certainly more fresh, and we can be sure too that they are not treated with dangerous pesticides. It's also nice to know that they are readily available when needed. Salam ceria!

Yati Harvey said...

Pak Idrus,

Indeed, lanting flowers and vegetables is a most fascinating hobby...zuchini to my mind is the most awesome vege because the flowers are very striking!have a great day!

Wan Sharif said...

What an excellent hobby,you have there..
I have tried to plant fruit trees.. the last one, I planted 3 mango trees.. all "jantan".. not fruit bearing.
Now trying to go into farming.. livestocks.. InsyaAllah.
Have a pleasant day..

Pak Zawi said...

Pak Idrus,
The best vegetables are the homegrown vegetables. They are fresh and we know how much pesticide is applied cos we are the one who applied them and most times none is applied.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Salam, Pak Idrus! I love the photos and your attempts at vegetable gardening. Everything you do, you do so well. I am sure the vegetable garden will bring you joy and a bountiful harvest. I grew my own cucumbers and beans in my teen years and found that although homegrown organic cucumbers are smaller and not so perfect in shape, they are sweeter and crunchier.

Pak Idrus said...

Temuk, thanks for the visit and the good words on my little garden.

Well it look like it is growing well and I am enjoying watching it grows. Yes homegrown vegetables are good for the health as well the pocket.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Yati Harvey, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the way of gardening especially so on the planting of vegetables.

In a gardening like this one get to watch the wonder of nature, from the germinating seeds to flowering to fruiting. All that process shows the greatness of nature itself and I do enjoy watching the colorful and vibrant flower as it blooms and then became fruits. Truly a wonder of nature in front of one's eye.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Wan Sharif, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Yes I love gardening and enjoy watching nature at its best, the germinating seeds, the colorful and vibrant flowers and then the fruits. A wonder of nature in front of one's eye.

I would like to caution you on any livestock project because it is not that easy and most of my friends who did that end in failure. So just be careful before you get you finger burned. It is best that you go for vegetable like chilly which get good market and price and not that difficult to managed.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Pak Zawi, thanks for the visit and sharing your valuable thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Yes homegrown vegetable is still the best and like you said it is much safer without the use of pesticide.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

~Covert_Operations'78~, Ee Lynn thanks for the visit and the good words on this posting.

I am glad that you like the images too. Well, I tried to do everything with the best of my ability and enjoy doing it all the way. I believe in giving the best in everything that we do and this includes gardening which is one of my passion.

Have a nice day.

Rahman Hariri said...

Pak Idrus, now I know the background of your Australian adventure in the 70s. Was that a passenger ship? I would not have thought that there was one in those days. I agree with one of your other entry - or was it in FB, that Perth was the nearest first world city to us, though I would rephrase it as nearest western city (albeit it being Southern to us).

Pak Idrus said...

Rahman Hariri, Thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

The Ship was not a passenger ship. It was a cargo ship that also takes passenger and it is a regular from Kuantan to Perth.

As for using the term western, what I meant is that Australia is politically west thus the nearest Western city.

Have a nice day.