Sunday, March 02, 2014

The Trishaw.. Little Magic of Penang...

Friday February 28, 2014. I have not been to Penang for so long and when my daughter and her husband wanted to go to Penang to look for a house for their daughter who would be studying at the Medical College there I decided to follow them. We left the house at 8am on a beautiful and hot Friday morning taking the DUKE bypass to get into the North South Highway. After a stop for a rest and lunch at a new rest area before Ipoh we proceed on. The weather became hazy as we approach the Penang Bridge to get across to the island of Penang. On arrival I was drop at a hotel in George Town which I had booked through the internet and they left to go and look for the house. I check up into a non-smoking room at the hotel and took a rest. Then went out to have a walk; to nowhere not that far from the vicinity of the hotel. Most of the places look familiar since I have seen it many times before when visiting Penang on official visit while working with the government. This time it was real nice to just play tourist whiling the time away enjoying the walk and taking picture of those places. 

At the entrance of the hotel I saw a row of colourful trishaw ever ready to take tourist on a slow tour of the city of George Town. I was not alone playing tourists and from time to time met other tourists mostly foreigner along the way. I stop and talk to a young American engineer who came all the way from California to see Penang. He said he wanted to see as much in the two days he is staying in Penang. I wish him well and left to wander and wonder the sights. I then turn around and head back to the hotel and bought a takeaway of Mee Goreng at a nearby shop. Got back to the room in the hotel and enjoy the Mee Goreng; then took a short rest. Above is a sight of the rows of the colourful trishaws with the pigeons enjoying it afternoon meals of food left there probably by those trishaw owner/riders. The sound of cars passes by would trigger those birds to fly and then settle back for its meal. Its movement does create a majestic scene as seen in the image I had snapped above. 

For the first timer to Penang I would suggest they take a ride on this trishaw and leave it to the trishaw paddler to take you around. I did and found it was the best decision since I had not been to Penang for such a long time. Had it not been for that trishaw ride I would be lost as to where to go and enjoy my day trip to the enchanting Penang. That trishaw ride does made my day in Penang. 

Have a nice day.





4 comments:

Al-Manar said...

As expected, your postings have beautiful pictures, your specialty, which make reading very pleasant.

Incidentally, I was brought into your Pcasa ? blog, where I got lost. Is this something new and trendy? I am too old for that and was helpless when I was asked to fill in details etc. Luckily I have yiour old blog address.

Pak Idrus said...


Al-Manar,Pokcik Hassan thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting. Thanks too for the good words on my kind of photography.

As for the Pcasa Blog I am not aware of such blog so not to worry about it. This is the only blog that I am active with.

Have a nice day.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Well you do have a family of high achievers, Pak Idrus! Nice to know that you had an enjoyable stay in Penang.

Pak Idrus said...

~CovertOperations78~ Ee Lynn thanks for the visit and the good words. Yes I did enjoy the short trip to Penang. Would be going there again and again.

Have a nice day.