Thursday, November 08, 2007

A colorful day at KLCC..

It was a Tuesday, I had an appointment with a young student from University Tunku Abdul Rahman [UTAR]. She wanted to interview me on Blogging. Part of her thesis on Journalism. She had interviewed Rocky earlier. As usual with me I went early and spend my time browsing at Kinokuniya, the biggest bookstore in the KLCC. I like this bookstore, first it is near my home and second it has a large collection of books, including the latest.

I went into the huge bookstore and soon found that the place has just had a sort of rearranged. I browse along and eventually got myself oriented to the new arrangement in the store. I went to see the new section that house the Japanese and Mandarin Books which together occupied half of the bookstore space, right to the back of the store where the windows faced the KLCC Pool and Garden. On my past visit I did not notice these windows. I walk near it and look outside. Looking through the window now you can clearly see the Pool and Garden from various angle. Wow!! The sight is simply magnificent. A panoramic views of the Pool and the Garden below. Amazing I never had the opportunity to see it this ways before. It is not always you get the opportunity to see the Pool and the Garden below.

I did not bring my camera but do have my Dopod and its has a camera. The Dopod 838Pro is an all new Window Mobile Smart Phone that my daughter gave me on my sixty eight birthday August this year. It is indeed a wonderful gadget especially so it has a Mobil Window software. With this I could surf the net anywhere using 3G or GPRS. So I am now connected with the Internet all the time. What a world we live in now.


I browse along the rows and rows of books and eventually found one with the title ' We're All Journalists Now by Scott Gant. I check the content and it look good. It is in a way about the evolution of this media and the future of Blogging. Interesting I bought it. The price RM96.88. Books are getting expensive but what can I do for reading is one of hobby. So there goes my Ringgit!!!. Happy with that purchase I went to the Bookstore's Coffee Club [Tell us how you feel]. I ordered a black coffee and took a corner table and wait for that student to arrive. I waste no time and start reading the book. From the first page it got me hooked. As I was immersed reading and sipping my steamy hot black coffee, she arrived with a friend. We made contact and she introduce herself, showing her University ID card. She thanks me for accepting her request to interview me. I told her that I am glad to do my bit for her. The future of Malaysia depend of professional like her. In a way it is an investment in the future of my country. She says that she is in her final year doing a degree in Journalism. Well, as we all know Blogging is the In Things now and our Universities are preparing the future Journalist to be a Citizen Journalist as Well. I am using the term Citizen Journalist, a term use by the the author Scott Gant to mean Blogger.


So we sat there. She is just one of the student of the generation of my grandchildren and me from the generation of the cave that got quantum leaped into the present, the ICT world of today. She is the future and I am from the past. Well she start saying that she would need at least two hours to get through all the questionnaire, which she placed in front of her. I told her not to worry and that I have all the time in the world. She ask me whether she could record our conversation. I told her it is alright with me. She then took out a tiny iPot, the size slightly bigger then a thumb and placed it on the table and said that this gadget could records more then two hours. Well another gadget of our today's world. So we sat there care less of what's happening around us, Me seeping coffee and she wrote as I speak. Hardly we knew it, the interview went for two and a half hours. Well like Einstein says Time is Relative, how true. When you do not relate it to anythings it just passes by just like that. And that ends the interview. Yet another fruitful day on my journey of life. Adding more colors to my already colorful life.

Soon she would get her Journalism Degree and journalism would not be the same anymore. Another Liz Wong or MarinaM perhaps. Well, folks that is life and things are bound to change whether we like it or not. Journalism would never be the same anymore. And Citizen Journalism [Blogger] would surely be in the fore. Have a nice day.

19 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

pak idrus,
I sincerely hope this budding journalist has her own blogsite that she can post her interview with you and Rocky. Did you ask her that?
Would be nice to know how candid the new generation of journalist can be.

Pak Idrus said...

zawi, thanks for the visit and the comments on this posting. She is as yet not a journalist. She is still a student. The interview was part of the study for her thesis and it would not be made public. Maybe after graduation, but as for now it is a research that she had to do in order to understand what Blogging is all about and how its affect the society. She says that she would give me a copy of the thesis when done.

For your information she did her homework well and the questions she ask covered all aspect of blogging. Indeed I am proud of the quality of graduate this university produce.

Yes she has a blog but it is in Mandarin, another world language.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

At least noraini has taken her stand. She is a typical modern malay and UMNO model that formed umno years back..so she has said her piece and that is her freedom...

Pak Idrus said...

norainisupporter, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts in my blog. We all have to respect each other thoughts whether we agree or not. That Sir/Madam is the freedom of Speech. Have a nice day.

IBU said...

Salam Pak Idrus,

Thanks for sharing the views. The gardens & pool, and that on blogging for the budding journalist to capture as her research bit.

And errr... that someone supporter? Looks like an auto "send to all" kind of comments jer? Hmmm... funny how one expects to be respected for her freedom of speech while at the same time lambaste on others'.

C u around Pak!

Pak Idrus said...

ibu, thanks for the visit and the kind words on my posting. The pleasure is in the sharing and happy that you enjoy it.

As for that 'supporter' comments [there are others] that has nothing to do with the posting, I simply rejected it all. How naive can these people be.

Have a nice day and take care.

zaitgha said...

hi Pak Idrus,

I was in that bookstore last Wednesday...and like you said the sceneries were magnificient and of course book collections in Kino so far the best for me....bought a few and like you, it dented my purse as i am not earning he he....

always enjoy your posting..

Pak Idrus said...

zaitgha, thanks for the visit and sharing your day at Kino. Books are great investment. I kept all the book that I bought from day one. My kids and now their kids read all those books.

Well what can we do about the price, the authority should subsidize the price to keep it down.

I love to write and enjoy doing it. Happy that you enjoy reading it. Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Pak Idrus, that is one expensive book! But very relevant to all of us who love to blog!

How come nobody ever wants to interview me about my blogging activities? ;-)

I am so jealous you have a DoPod! Seems like you are more technology savvy than many young people!

Cheers!

Pak Idrus said...

puteri, thanks for the visit, sharing your thoughts and those kind words.

Well, book is part of my life, so had to read and I got a great book. It is a hardcover thus the price. I think our government should subsidize the price of reading material. It is an investment on our human resources.

As for the interview, well maybe it is my age, so when you reach the golden age I am sure they you come to you for such interview. In the meantime enjoy life.

Regarding that Dopod, on my birthday, our grandkids and their mom and Dad came, the kids hand over a shopping bag and says it is for Atuk. My daughter their mom thought that this is an appropriate gift for the dad and granddad on his 68th birthday.

My dear putri that is the greatness of living in the golden age surrounded by love one. Have a nice day and take care.

Unknown said...

Assalamualaikum Pak Idrus,

Nice view! Got to go there when i'm back to PJ this 18. Haven't been to Kino for quite some times though. One of the 'paradises'....

dopod? Cool! It has WiFi embedded in it right? And HSDPA, or is it WCDMA? Whatever, now you can blog and surf internet whenever you like, as long you are in the right places, Starbuck or somewhere(",).

Perhaps you can share with us things she asked during the interiew Pak.

Good day Pak(",)!

Pak Idrus said...

akmal, thanks for the visit and the kind words. Always appreciate a visit from you. The next time you are at KLCC let me know, we can have coffee and chat there.

As for the Dopod, it is really a palm size computer. You can surf the net anywhere anytime since it has more then WIFI, It is a 3G phone and GPRS service as well, can just go on line at the click of a button. It come with both a virtual keyboard as well with a real mini keyboard. Well that is technology, Glad that I am in the first world now and be able to use it and enjoy.

BTW KLCC is my favorite place. It is just five minutes away from my home in Ampang Jaya. Have a nice day and take care.

gram.kong said...

Pak Idrus,

I really enjoy some of your colorful and interesting anecdotes of your personal experience and journey through life.Your good health and active life at such ripe old age give us, those not far behind you, an inspiration and confidence for the future.

I am a grandfather too, on a lower rung than you.

Have a nice day and keep on blogging.

Unknown said...

Sure I will Pak, sure I will(",)

Pak Idrus said...

hantu laut sir, thanks for the visit, the comment as well as those kind words on me and my blogging. Honored and appreciate the sincere wishes.

Well, we have to live life as it is. Keep an open mind and personally I do not believe in myth, strange belief and superstition and got myself out of the the feudal mindset.

Always have love in your heart and practice of giving love all the time. At this age, blessed with good health and great family, to me it is the time of giving, thus I give whatever I could..

You know as a grandparent we are blessed with love all the time and that I believe are input for good health.

I am an optimist by nature and always takes a day a time and cross the bridge when need be.

Thanks again for the visit and have a nice day. Take care.

Rita Ho said...

Pak Idrus ... Yet another relaxing and constructive day for you, doing what you enjoy - helping future generations - and do well. Kudos! I have a feeling that your involvement in creating awareness of blogging is going to increase quite a few folds. :)

I like your last picture of KLCC. It provides the perfect image when describing KL to those who have not visited. Have you been to the underground aquarium or sea world feature? There is also the Convention Centre. If I were back in KL, most of my time will be spent managing events at that amazing facility. They contacted me for a position when it opened but it was a year late. Maybe, some day.

Have a fun Dunday, Pak Idrus.

Pak Idrus said...

rita, thanks for the visit, comments and those kind words.

Really I do love doing what I did and I felt good. She is the future and I am optimistic that she would made a good journalist.

I am indeed glad that you like the images of KLCC from above. I love photography and always snaps things that eventually some turn out great.

Yes I have been to Aquaria. It is among the best underwater world that we have in the country. There is one at Langkawi and it is as great too. I did a piece on my visit there and it is somewhere in my archive.

I think we have many in common, I use to organized Seminar in the four/five stars hotel and at time live for weeks in the hotel. I love doing it and the opportunity of meeting people. Well, keep you passport handy, one of these days you might be tempted to come back who knows!! life is like that.

BTW both the table and the model look great. Have a nice day and take care.

Hanafi Mohd Noor said...

Pak Idrus, again you make me feel like going to Kino and buy books. You did good job photographing with a camera phone, never knew its from your dopod. BTW I really appreciate you mentionng me and the last time I checked my visitors has increased because of that. Bila lah nak jumpa PakIdrus ni, this month I am busy with the autocad training. Hope we could have lunch toether.

Pak Idrus said...

hanafi, thanks for the visit and the kind words on my posting.

The Dopod is everything in One.

As for the increase of visitors to you blog, that my friends is what bloggerhood is all about.

Have a nice day and take care.