Sunday, November 25, 2012

A home in Kuantan...



Despite the daily rain in the afternoon Thursday November 8 was a sunny day. I  had planned to drive to Kuantan for a short break. My spouse is not coming and I decided to leave early and arrived in Kuantan before it rain there. At this time of the year the east coast is hit by the north-east monsoon; sort of our winter period. I wanted to experience that rain so it was the right time to go and enjoy the rain. I grew up in this town and always enjoy the coming of the monsoon where the weather is cooler than the other period of the year. Just after nine in the morning I drove the Honda at my own speed and about one and half-hour later arrived at the Temerloh rest area where I stop for a break and had a Nasi Lemak and a hot plain tea. After enjoying that refreshment and a short rest I proceed to Kuantan. The weather was on my side but I saw dark cloud far ahead. There were not that many cars on the road so it was pleasant to drive and enjoy watching the scenery passing by. The only thing I could not do is to take picture of the lush greens along the way. Anyway those greens were soothing to the eyes and create a rather refreshing environment.  As I was driving I got a call on my cell phone. I took the call and found that it is from the Vistana Hotel asking me about my arrival at the hotel. I told them that I am on the way and would be there just after noon. I drove on and eventually arrived at the front of the hotel and was welcome by the familiar and friendly staff of the hotel. I was told I could park my car at the parking space nearby. They took my luggage and I went to park my car and then went to the reception counter to check in. I ask for a non-smoking room and they say that it was not available as yet and would give me another room. If I am not satisfied once the non-smoking room is available they would change my room.  I then check in to the room and took my laptop to surf the net. Then I call the receptionist and told them is there is any room I would like to move. In less  than five minutes the receptionist call and said that there is a non-smoking room now available and they would come over to hand the Card Key so that I could move. I thank her and repack my bag and wait for the key. And in just a moment the doorbell chime and a receptionist hand me the new key to the room and told me that I could move any time and to inform them once I am in the new room. Without much ado I drag my bag and move to the room on the sixth floor. Got myself accustomed to the room and unpacked my bag and make myself at home in this home of mine in Kuantan. I always treat the Vistana Hotel as my home away from home. 

After posting a few notes on my Facebook I sat to enjoy my packed lunch. I had told Asmah to pack a lunch for me so that I do not have to go out for lunch and could rest after that drive from Kuala Lumpur. I always enjoyed home-cook meal. Make myself a cup of black coffee and enjoy that lunch. Then took a short rest and then surf the net again. After that took a short drive to Teluk Cempedak . During my school days the place was in pristine condition with clean and beautiful beach of golden sands. Often we would go to the beach on Friday after school and camp on the beach till the afternoon of Sunday when we all would leave for home. Teluk Cempedak in those days were an isolated place but now it is swamp with folks enjoying themselves swimming but for today with the monsoon wind and rain folks are not allow to swim since the current is swift and dangerous to swimmer. I parked my car under the tree there and went to have a look at the beach. There are many young sitting down along the beach and enjoy themselves in one way or the other.  I notice the once clear river outlet is now polluted and darkish in colour. It was indeed sad to see the once crystal clear river could no long be use. In those days when we went there to camp that river was our source of fresh water. I just browse along and decided to call it a day and went back to the hotel. Took a good rest and then had a nice shower before going out for dinner with my nephew.  Well folks that has been my day in  Kuantan that day in November.

Have a nice day.

6 comments:

Al-Manar said...

Did you really leave Asmah to go to Kuantan? She is too nice a lady to drive without, Pak Idrus.

Temuk said...

Longing to see Teluk Cempedak... haven't been there for more than 15 years!

It is sad that many of our rivers have become victims of development - industrialization, urbanization, tourism, etc. The river in Bandaraya Melaka where they have the river cruise, for example, is always muddy and smelly, as a result of its exposure to the many forms of "pollutants" from the surrounding areas.

Pak Idrus said...

Al-Manar, Pokcik Hassan thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Well our daughter maid has gone back to Indonesia and the replacement has yet to come. So the kids are send to our house before their parent left for work, thus she had to stay back and that I may have to go alone to Kuantan so I just decide to drive alone and stay for a couple of days there. Well life is like that.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Temuk, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on Teluk Cempedak.

Well the place has change a lots and no longer pristine as it was some fifteen years ago. You would surely be disappointed if you go and see it now. But that is what happened when no proper planning was done to keep that golden beach in it natural form. Sad but true.

Anyway do have a nice day.

fred said...

as. inshaallah, next time you bring kak asmah along ok. my name is chillikhan@live.com.au may ALLAH be with you. wassalam.

Pak Idrus said...

fred, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Have a nice day.