Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Of grandparenting...


The image about is so picturesque that I thought it would be wise to share it with all. It was snapped by Louis, a cyber pal living in Seattle, USA. He send it to me with a note saying that he had just visited his daughter's home in the enclaves, between those trees as seen in the image above. What a great place to be living.

Anyway it triggers my thoughts to write this. It is about grandparenting. And to get there you first must have kids, for without that wonderful species of ours you can never have the grand kids, another wonderful species that folks at my age love to have around. Just a few days ago while at the American Embassy here and been interview for a visa application, a senior interviewer ask us about our grandchildren and it was indeed a very delightful question, Of course my spouse was happy to reply and when my turn to answer, I quip to the interviewer that grandchildren are a bonus and he smiled with happiness. Probably he is a grandparent too. It did not take long after another question that he says our visa is approved and that to come back and collect our passports the next day. So as you can see the subjects of grand kids do cross cultural barrier and sort of an ice breaking subjects. The subject that folks at our ages love to talk about and it always make everyone happy. It does not matter where the grandchildren are, grandparents would be there.

Like some ten years ago our daughter and her husband had to go for a post doc study in Boston and they took with them their three kids and we went with them to take care of the grandchildren for a year and enjoyed doing it. Just a month ago I got an email from a very close friend, Mr.Lee, a classmate from the forties in Kuantan, Pahang. He is now a GM of a sprawling hotel complex in Bali. At this age he is still managing a hotel. He says it is his passion and I believe him, he is really enjoying his job. He says that his spouse has just left for Berlin, Germany to take care of their grandchild there. His daughter is living there now, so as you can see grandparents, especially the grandma would go and help, come what may. True what this caption on a sticker says “God could not be everywhere, so He made Grandmas". And I believe that's what grandma Louis is doing at her daughter's home nestles in that picturesque valley. In Louis words, they were 'Babysitting' there. And as usual grandpa tag along, making a nuisance of himself and enjoyed every minutes of that episode of his life.

That's my friends is the wonderful world of grandparents. Wait a minute, the phone rang. Little Azib, our youngest grandson just call and ask me to take him from the kindergarten tomorrow. And he ended the conversation with "Thank you Atuk". That is grandparenting and I am enjoying it. Have a nice day and take care..

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

PI,

Nice day to you.

I believe Grandparenting is the extension of our unconditional love to our child(ren). The further it goes, the stronger the bond in the middle. That is, grandparenting helps strengthen the family institution.

I am very happy for you indeed.

Pak Idrus said...

anonymous[1:06PM, thanks for the visit, the good words on this posting as well as sharing your thoughts on grandparenting.

Well like you said it is indeed an extension of the love we give to our children. Children and grandchildren gives us so much in providing the happiness that we would not get without them. At this age giving and receiving love is the order of the day. Nothing can substitute love. With that life became more colorful and beautiful. Indeed it strengthen the family institution.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Salam Pak Idrus,
Grandparents are the guardians of wisdom.What they are able to share with the younger generation-such as their grandchildren-is the wisdom of having been there and having done that gained from it.In my own experience it was my grandfather who taught me that there is more life to life than watching TV.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pak Idrus,

Your reflections on being grandparents made me recall this:

“The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.”

Thanks for thinking my photo worth posting :) I sent it to you because this spot, which has a river gurgling along just behind me as I took the photo, made me recall your Janda Baik setting.

Pak Idrus said...

awang, thanks for the visit, the greeting as well as sharing your thoughts on grandparenting.

Getting to be address as Atuk and Nenek is the best thing in life. At this age I felt great if someone call be Uncle, Pak Cik or Pak Long, but only when you get your own cucu [grandchildren] that you get to be call Atuk. It is indeed a beautiful word to hear. Wonderful indeed.

In life knowledge comes as we journey on and wisdom come with age, so I believe our role in the extended family is to pass along our ideas and information to present generation. So that they would go through life with a better knowledge to face the ever challenging world.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

louis, thanks for the visit and that phrase 'Atuk the toy'.

The images of your 'Janda Baik' fascinate me and as a person who love thing beautiful, that image kept me thinking, thus I posted the image that you took. I am a person that do not stop thinking and anything could triggers my thoughts. Your photo did just that on the subject of grandparenting.

Grandparent is I believe the best profession in the world. You get to enjoy and chatter and laugh with those kids and at time we became kids as well. With them around lives became so wonderfully beautiful.

Have a nice day.

cakapaje said...

Salam Pak Idrus,

How ironic! I just put an entry quite contrary to this. I mean I do believe it to be a blessing, but grandparenting is still way out of my league!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Salam Pak Idrus. iv been here a few times before but not lately until now. ;)

I remember the 1st time my parents became grandparents, they practically beamed w pride! they are called atuk and mak tok by my nieces and nephews and i believe they proudly carry tht title.

Farina

Pak Idrus said...

cakapaje, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Time passes by fast nowadays and hardly you know it, your kids are out of school and then other surprise follows. If you have kids you would get there one of these days. Life is like that.

Have a nice day and take care.

Pak Idrus said...

salt & turmeric, thanks for the visit, the kind words on my posting as well as sharing your thought on this subject of grandparenting.

Well, that is life and I believe when you get to my age you would be able to enjoy the wonderful world of grandparenting. That is why I kept tell children to have kids. With kids around, that is the beginning of a wonderful life.

BTW is how the weather in California. They say it never rain in California. Have a nice day.

Unknown said...

Salaam Pak Idrus, how're you doing?
All you wrote sounds decades away from me, but for now I am satisfied with 'uncle'ship and 'Pak Long'ship only, but those two titles make me smile ear to ear :)
Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

akmal, thanks for the visit and the greeting. I am great and enjoying life.

I am just reminding your generation that the journey toward the golden age are full of challenges as well as a very interesting one too. You would get there one of these days. We actually never know what is going to happen next. So journey on, get you first degree and then proceed to get the MD and the PhD. That is living and made it as colorful as well.

Have a nice day and take care.

Pak Zawi said...

Pak Idrus,
What a beautiful subject you are blogging now.
I have 4 grandchildren living with me now. 3 grand children are Azura's including the one month old Aqil and also Balkis, my youngest daughter Azini's baby. Life is full of laughter everyday day although it can be very hectic sometimes with me having to nanny Balkis in the morning and pick up Azuras two daughters from school. But its FUN!
Lets tell Shah (cakapaje), to get married soon as you dont know what you are missing.

Pak Idrus said...

zawi, thanks for the visit and the kind words on this posting, as well as sharing your thoughts on this very important subject. Well, they would never know until they get their own. Its fun all the ways and one feel great to be in the golden age surrounded by all the cucu. Have a nice day.

mutalib saifuddin said...

salam, pak

do we need to undergo an interview EACH time we need a visa?

by the way, are you going? heard that, at first, you're not.

thanks.

Pak Idrus said...

mutalib, thanks for the visit. It depend of the type of visa. The last time they gave me a visa for an indefinite period and multiple entry but after the happening all indefinite period was reduced to ten years, so my former visa expired in 2003, thus I had to apply again and this time they give me another ten years and multiple entry as well. Most probably would go.

Have a nice day.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Salam Pak Idrus. The weather here varies between 60-100F. All within a week! Never rain in California? haha. We got so much rain last winter tht we even had flood and land erosion. Lotsa ppl had to evacuate their home.

Pak Idrus said...

salt & turmeric, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts about the weather.

Well, even in Malaysia now the weather pattern has changed as well. Now every afternoon it rain and rain. Had it not been for the SMART tunnel, KL would get flash flood every days. The SMART tunnel is a wonder of engineering and the only one in the world.

The whole world including Malaysian now us metric, so it is 36-60degree Celsius. Hot! Eh. It is time the US use the metric system and for once follow the majority of the world.

Have a nice day and take care.

Salt N Turmeric said...

agree with the system. its even harder when im talking to ppl back home and have to convert everything to metric. aduh. pening jugak kepala sometimes. lol.

Pak Idrus said...

salt & turmeric, thanks for the return visit. Well on this one America is way back. Metric is more precision. Actually it is easy with metric, no such thing as 1ft= 12 inch. It is all the time 10,100, 1000. Easy as ABC. Tak pening kepalapun. Have a nice day and take care.