Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Petite Batik Artist in Rantau Abang...

We were on our way to Kuantan from Kuala Terengganu on May 29, 2011, on see a signage that shows a sort of a Rest Area we stop to have a look at shops that sell Batik there. As I was about to enter the first shop someone from inside the shop say that I had to first take out my shoe if I want to enter. Well since they are more interested in what I wear rather than the money in my pocket I decided not to enter that shop.

I then move to another shop next to it which looks more like a shack than a shop. Anyway I decided to enter the shop. As I approach it I saw a lovely piece of Batik hanging to dry. I have a quick look of it and found that it is a beautiful piece of the work of art, which let me into buying it.

I then move on and saw a petite lady working on a piece of batik material. I seek her permission to take picture and she with a smile say it is OK. With that I then took some images of the happening while she diligently paints the Batik.

Meanwhile my spouse and our nephew arrived at the shop and start looking at the batik that are been sold there and end with buying many pieces of Batik textile and Batik T-Shirt. This part of the shop is managed by the elder sister of that petite Batik artist.

Enjoy the image folks. Have a nice day.



8 comments:

Liz said...

Salam Pak Idrus,

It reminds me of my own batik experience for Piala Seri Endon Batik Fashion Competition. I still can't get over it (:

Nice sharing of your escapade in the East Coast.

Wan Sharif said...

I normally stayed less than 20 km away from Rantau Abang when I am in Trengganu and has yet to know that nice shop that you mentioned, mm.. I must make a point to stop there ..InsyaAllah.

Pak Zawi said...

Pak Idrus,
These hand made batik are one of a kind so rest assured you are the only one with that design. Mahal ke?

Lee said...

Hello Pak Idrus, I have always loved batik....used to love wearing batik shirts.
And whenever I was on my monthly business travels to the East Coast, I'd always drop by some stores like in your this posting to see them making, drawing, painting beautiful designs.

That young lady is very creative and artistic too.
Looks like a beautiful batik too.
I guess they're expensive too.

You take good pictures, Pak Idrus.
You stay young and keep well, best regards.
Lee.

Pak Idrus said...

Liz, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting. And the good words too of my east coast trip.

Have a nice day and take care.

Pak Idrus said...

Wan Sharif, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

As for that shop that we went and bought many batik, it is on the left side of the big shop [that you must take your shoe to enter which to me is a very bad business practice]. It is run by the elder sister of the woman in the picture. And the good are reasonably price thus the reason we bought many there.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Pak Zawi, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on Batik here.

Yes it is one of a kind and that is the reason I bought the piece. I truly love a work of art.

These folks need more exposure and I hope this posting would help them in their business.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

Uncle Lee, thanks for the visit and sharing your experiences on Batik with us. Indeed Batik if properly done is a work of art. I hope these folks get more exposure so that their business would thrived.

Thanks for the good words on my kind of photography and I am still learning to do a better job of it as I moved on in this hobby of mine.

Have a nice day.